Monday, September 22, 2014

Asaba, A capital Of Good People and No Government!






Right from the Asaba Airport, it was greetings from all quarters. I initially thought it was the usual Airport “rats” who want tips by offering to help lift your luggage. To my greatest chagrin, the same warm and welcoming Airport reception was also replicated on the streets of Asaba by the average citizens.
Impressively, Asaba residents I came in contact with kept greeting me “Good morning brother”! On such occasions, I was tempted to check if it was someone else around me who was being greeted. After looking   and finding none else in sight but myself, I would gladly answer.
My journey to Asaba evoked  nostalgic memories of my childhood identity developed in Okitipupa, Ondo State, which has been tremendously altered by my over a decade exposure to the cold Lagos culture,where everybody minds their business. Asaba people relate freely with one another.
From the Airport, I wished the warm reception I was already receiving from the loving people in Asaba, would also be reflected in the environment, given the State’s huge Federal allocations and internally generated revenue. Unfortunately, it was not the case. Basic amenities were lacking. Where they existed, they were nothing to write home about.
I was dismayed when I saw the flood the people were contending with. There were no functional drainage systems to drain away the stagnant waters. The City center was littered with wastes. The hygiene standard was absolutely short of my expectation for a State Capital of an Oil producing state like Delta State. I practically walked through the puddle of waters daily to my place of assignment for the five days I stayed in the state. No thanks to the rains which refused to stop for the days i stayed in the Delta State Capital.
With all sincerity, I took my time to move through Asaba’s numerous streets, and could barely find a well tarred street. The very few tarred streets I saw, lacked proper drainage. Where there sewage systems, they were abysmally constructed.
At coker junction, which is the first point of contact for people coming into Asaba town from the  Airport, all I saw were hips of wastes, exuding pungent stench, leaving endangered  pedestrians with no any other choice than to cover their nose while passing the area.
Another intrigues of the town was the preposterous manner Asaba Drivers drive their cars against traffic. They were not only  driving against traffic, they were driving on very high speed.
Seeing that, what first came to my baffled mind was, Where is LASTMA? Come and eat! I had to pinch myself to realize that I was in Asaba and not Lagos, where such traffic irresponsible demeanor would not be condoned by traffic officials.
Asaba had really tasty local delicacies. Food vendors AKA “mama Put” are well regulated. Unlike Lagos where you can go to a local restaurant and buy food  according to your pocket size,the prize for a plate of rice in Asaba, is standard. A plate of rice is sold for N300 anywhere . I tasted a couple of them.And one of the intricacies to the rice is, it is either served with normal STEW or BANGA soup base on your individual preference.
 Day 5, was the day i finally said goodbye to Asaba and i said in my mind that, at least i am now free from the unending “street ocean” that i wade through daily to attend my assignment.Getting to the Airport, i encountered another hitch while trying to check in. The attendant said “OGA, GO GET STAMP”  he pointed at a direction to me.Thinking it was free, i quickly rushed down to get my ticket stamped.On getting there, the guy behind the counter said N1,000. The Warri in me came out “Bros, wish dey they start to dey pay for stamp na, me no get money to give you oo”. Talking to me rudely, the attendant replied me that i cannot go through the door without stamped ticket, that the only option i have is to get a refund and forget the flight. Out of anger i gave him one thousand Naira and passed.
My journey to Asaba was full of intrigues, Asaba people are very accommodating, but the physical condition of the environment was quite appalling.







No comments: